X-Fi Windows 7 x64 and Mode Changing

Discussion in 'PAX Download - PCIe X-Fi Series' started by Terror-Byter, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Terror-Byter

Terror-Byter X-Fi Sidebar Gadget Dev

Hey guys Im new here, so please forgive me if Im posting this in the wrong section, but I think this is the right place to ask this.

As many of you already know, or experience, some if not most X-Fi based sound cards, have an issue with the Creative Automode Changer... as in IT DOESNT WORK :(

I have searched the internet high and low for fix or solution to this problem, and all ive found was a little piece of software called X-Fi Mode Changer, developed by spectra9... which too isnt working for me.

So ive two questions...

Has anyone been able to solve this issue and how?

...and then id like to ask... if anyone has been able to find some command line switches to Creative Mode Switcher "MdSwitch.exe"?

The reason im asking this, is because out of pure frustration with having to change mode and speaker settings 10 - 15 times per day, Ive decided to take things into my own hands, and develop my little windows sidebar gadget to do this... and ive come pretty far with this... as in... its working... but im uncomfortable as to how I had to make it work. It pretty much just starts up two creative apps, and sends key strokes and mouse clicks on the relevant sections... which I find totally cumbersome. Not a very good way to go about this.

If anyone has figured out any command lines to the creative X-fi based apps, please can you let me know... or is anyone is willing to able to backwards engineer the creative mode and speaker changers, to find out how they make their changes, so that I can add it to my gadget.

Also if anyone is interested in this gadget, its going to be available for free pretty soon, and you can keep up with my progress at the blog I made for this gadget. Since I cant link any sites on here as of yet, you are welcome to PM me for a link, if thats not against the rules that is :rolleyes:

Any insight as to how the mode and speaker changes happen on the back end would really be appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  2. Terror-Byter

Thought id share a little teaser of what Ive come up with so far for anyone thats interested...

Im also looking for some people to help me test my gadget out on what ever X-Fi configuration you have. I am currently using an Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1, and im using the latest PAX 4.75 modded drivers, on windows 7 x64, and no issues here... so if anyone has any other configurations different to mine... I would really appreciate some help testing this out.

Anyways... here's a littte peak :D

Attached Files:

3. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Looks interesting,

I used to use the automode switcher when I was heavily into Battlefield 2142 because if you started the game in the wrong mode it would reset your audio settings. I haven't been able to play that game in awhile though and the mode isn't really important in modern games as they don't use the hardware acceleration.

I'd like to know more about your gadget though, looks pretty good so far.

4. Terror-Byter

Would you be willing to help me test it out? Like I said... Ive only really been able to test this on my computer... and since theres alot of different X-Fi's out there, running different versions of the creative drivers and software, Im not 100% certain yet its ready for a proper release.

5. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Sure, I'll give it a spin.

6. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

Can you added to the my new default tweak sets? :) Get back to me.

7. Terror-Byter

I'm not sure what you're asking there Robert... are you asking me to add your new default tweaks into the gadget? Or are you asking us to test your new default tweaks?

And Jac... please can you PM me your email so I can mail you a copy of the gadget?

8. Robert McClelland

I mean asking you put the gadget into my software driver setup set :)

9. Terror-Byter

Oh... that would be very cool... so yes... I think we can definitely do that. I think it still needs a little testing first before sending it out to people, but yes you're more than welcome to add it into your tweaks.

Also, I was thinking of adding a new feature in future release of the gadget... for people already using your PAX driver sets. Im not sure how it would work yet, or if its even possible... but do you think that your tweaked settings could be applied to X-Fi's without the whole driver pack being re-installed? If so... then here is my idea.

Adding a tweaks section to the gadget, that will apply various versions on your tweaks to the sound card. Because, lets face it, different people prefer their sound in different ways, some like a little more bass, some want higher mids and so on... so in other words, I want to add a "PAX MOD TWEAK" section, and alow a user to change between "PAX MOD TWEAK" profiles.

Do you think that would be possible without having to reinstall everything from scratch? I mean just a click of a button... a restart of the computer... and the "PAX MOD PROFILE" is changed?

Let me know what you think of that.

In the mean time, if you would like to try this gadget out, send me PM with your email, and Ill give you a link, since Im still new on this forum and I cant set links to other sites as of yet.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  10. Robert McClelland

Ya np Down side I be away Friday threw Sunday :(

11. Terror-Byter

Aww... thats sucks. Well look at it this way... you will be away hopefully doing something different to what you do everyday ^^
    What you think of my idea btw? Do you think what would work?

12. Robert McClelland

13. Terror-Byter

I think that would be a cool feature... just hope we will be able to make it work without breaking peoples computers :rofl:

14. Terror-Byter

So what about you Mr. Pax... would you like to give this little gadget a try? PM your email if you want me to send you a copy for testing ^^

15. Terror-Byter

16. Terror-Byter

Oh and Robert... youre more then welcome to include the gadget in your Tweaks pack. I do however suggest that you download it and try it out first. Make sure you approve ;)