X360 survey shows 60% fail rate

Discussion in 'News Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Nov 18, 2009.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Read Full Story Here.

A recent survey has shown some really shocking results for Xbox 360 fail rates with 75% experiencing issues within 18 months

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I have two. One is a year old, the other is about 3. Neither has failed yet. Weird.

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I remember an MS official saying that they expect all units belonging to the original revision to fail. Apple is the one that usually gets accused of putting form over function, but this time MS seems obviously guilty of that crime. There are no strict constraints on size and shape for a gaming console, yet MS has decided to passively cool the CPU and GPU and crammed the memory under the drive just to make it all fit in a case someone envisioned (and maybe to make it half a dB quieter). Considering that the GPU was a high end part when it came out and that similar desktop GPUs were coupled with dual slot coolers, and it's not much different with the CPU either, being a 90nm, 3.2GHz multicore design, high failure rates should come as little surprise. Whoever is responsible has cost the company a ton of money and customers a great deal of time and nerves.

4. slugbug

slugbug Going Broke Saving Money

I bought my first XBox 360 in January 2006 and it lasted almost a year. Since then I've had to RMA four more times. I grew tired of getting back crap so I purchased a new Falcon unit on liquidation last December with hopes it would last longer. It lasted about 10 months before giving me the RROD once again. That makes what..600% failure rate for me?

5. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

Im glad I sent mine back due to some real piss poor issues i had with Dell during the process

6. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

I think this shows that product failure rate has little effect on sales. While I'm sure handling the failures is somewhat of a financial hurt for Microsoft, the lesson is probably that it's better to have a malfunctioning product out early, rather than wait more to get higher reliability.

7. slugbug

slugbug Going Broke Saving Money

As much as I hate Sony I bit the bullet and bought a PS3 slim. The disc drive is so much quieter than the one in my 360.

8. Gastrian

Gastrian New Member

Where are the figures? How many people took part in this survey? How was this survey advertised? Is CNET a pro or anti MS website and what about its readers?

I've had to return a recently bought 360 after 6 months but then again it was reduced stock from the very first shipment of Xboxs so I'm not defending Microsoft but this seems as legit and as responsible as Watchdog's mockery of journalism. Without figures and evidence this is just an opinion piece being passed off as fact. There's lies, damn lies and journalists quoting statistics.

9. clanman

clanman New Member

sounds like someone needs a hug. :rofl:

10. DarkNation

DarkNation Guest

mt roommate bought a used 360on ebay and it gave us the RROD first time we turned it on. epic fail.

11. Gastrian

Gastrian New Member

Just return to the seller and get your money back as its a faulty item. Its gone outside the three year replacement program so they've sld on a dodgy product hoping somebody would buy it and not return it.

12. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

He got it on ebay so there is no way he can ask for atonement or replacement.

13. demarc

demarc New Member

ever heard of RROD? search google why microsoft extended warranty of xbox to 3yrs. you're the only one i know who has a console and does not believe xbox 360 pre-jasper high failure rate

14. Gastrian

Gastrian New Member

Unless the advert specifically stated it was faulty then he is allowed to return it to the seller for a full refund. eBay does provide buyers with some protection regarding faulty items.

And demarc, of course I've heard or RROD, I stated I returned my console once. Its common knowledge that the original 360s had a high failure rate and I didn't dispute that, what I disputed was this survey which doubled the official figure of a 30% failure rate to 60% and the subsequent "news piece" that went with it. So please read what is being said before quoting and replying with something that has no relevance to said post.

15. demarc

demarc New Member

i got two friends who went through 2-3 xbox in 4 years. it has to be higher than 30% or at least approaching 60%. i doubt microsoft would officially say they have 60% failure rate (what company would?). no reason to extend the warranty to 3 years unless they are expecting a lot of units to fail. what constitutes "a lot" i don't know
    stay cool looks like you were somehow offended by my post :D

16. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I have 2 Xbox 360's. One from 2006 and one from last year. No RROD yet on either of them. Does this mean the console is experiencing 0% failure rate?
    I don't see why anyone would believe some third party and not the official numbers.
    I don't see why anyone would believe the official numbers and not the third party.
    I don't see why anyone would believe and take as truth either of them or both of them.

17. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

At least, it seems they have managed to get it under control with Jasper or so I hope :p

I still don't get why they haven't made a slim version though. It should be possible to make a stable silent slim hardware, considering the hardware in the 360, is fairly old.

A silent good looking slim version, would also remove some of the focus from the old 360 models and the talk about RROD. Now they could even launch the slim model together with Natal, it would make so much sense...

But guess not.

18. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

I understood that it was overheating that caused the RROD so making the console slimmer is just going to push the heat back up and possibly they will start failing again .

i think MS are just happy that they have a working console now

may be way off the mark though

we have gone through 2 x 360's in 2 years and had the same problem free PS3 for near on 2 years

19. demarc

demarc New Member

i thought i thought.. i thought i saw a pussy cat :rofl:

20. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Overheat and and bad design. But it should still be possible. The components they are using in the 360 can be made much more optimized these days. The PS3 slim uses 45nm for it's cpu of a monster, should be possible for MS also on their GPU and GPU.