X58 Roundup July 2010 @ HH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by craig5320, Jul 29, 2010.

1. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

X58 Roundup July 2010

Back in December 2009 we published a roundup which focused on the Intel P55 chipset and noted that between Gigabyte and Asus there were 36 different models to choose from. It is clearly a massive market and those two companies offer a huge amount of choice for consumers. Due to a higher cost of ownership X58 based systems are a little more limited in terms of choice but it is an ever expanding marketplace and in more recent times there has been a huge push from the major manufacturers to go bigger and better, regardless of cost.

Today we look at a number of these boards, designed for those who must have the best products available, at any price. However we also like a little bit of balance in our lives so we have selected a few boards which focus on other aspects such as value. Join us as we take a look at what the latest developments on the X58 market are; in a selection of tests including video encoding, SATA3/USB3 performance and overclocking we will discover which boards offer the best for each consumer.

2. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

they're looking real good. I really like the easthetic thought that go into these new boards nowadays.

Nice review as always

3. RobertBruce

RobertBruce Active Member

$700?! I wonder how many of those have sold. I want the customer list. I have bridges to sell!

Calliers likes this.
  4. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Yeah, imagine one of those... a few ASUS Ares cards...

5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Yeah, Gigabyte took me by surprise with that price as well. Heck of a board, though.

I'm glad to see HH still keeping an eye on X58 boards, X58 is not so new any more, but it's the premium platform and it's good to see what's new in the market. :) I was pleasantly surprised by the prices of the two cheapest boards, especially since they come with all the bells and whistles as the much more expensive competition.

6. darkunknown88

darkunknown88 New Member

The ASUS Rampage is really a good motherboard. Its used in Maingear Shift PC. One of the rarest PC's which offer 3x GTX 480 SLI solution.

BTW whats the difference between a red, blue and green PCB???

7. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Nice roundup!

I lol'ed at the price for UD9. But I guess there is a market for that. But you have to give props to Gigabyte, for having a broad selection of products. They have one of the best value boards for X58 also: GA-X58A-UD3R (ver 2.0).

8. Bo_Fox

Bo_Fox New Member

Wow, awesome roundup! Really good!!

I'm still on my "old" X58 mobos (DFI UT T3eH8 and original Bloodrage) that still rock today! No USB3 or SATA6.0 ports but I'd rather wait until the next gen with SB chipsets that officially support several USB3 and SATA-6.0 ports.

I could only wish for more wide-spread popularity of SAS drives, so that we wouldnt be stuck between a 10Krpm Velociraptor and a small, ultra-expensive SSD. Having 600GB 15Krpm drives in RAID 0 for 1.2TB of screaming performance would be my ideal choice. The noise wouldn't be too terribly bad in a closed case, plus ~20W per drive would definitely be worth it if running only like 2-4 drives.

9. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

I don't think there's any difference between them other than the color and the circuitry on them, they're all made from silicon and I believe the difference in color is purely for aesthetic appeal and nothing else.

10. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

I wonder why nobody comes with different coloured editions of boards, or some real different concepts than others.
    The general consensus is now black & blue or black & red.

what about a complete black board, or blue, or red, for those using blue/red leds or coloured watercooling... I think manufacturers are missing out on the enthusiast market here...
    It's not like it would be so much more costly to manufacture different colours, it's just using a different pigment in the part making process. or am I missing something?

11. CJLMTLCA

CJLMTLCA Ti > IT

I was eyeballing the P6X58D-E but just recently realized that Crossfiring 2 cards might choke the primary card. R3E has a better slot configuration but is double the price of the P6X58.

Rampage
    GPU1 PCIEx16_1
    DSP PCIEx1
    GPU2 PCIEx16_3
    TV PCIEx16_4

vs

P6X58D-E
    DSP PCIEx1
    GPU1 PCIEx16_1
    GPU2 PCIEx16_2
    TV PCIEx16_3

12. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

I think the Evga FTW P55 is all/mostly black...:evil:

13. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

Now I really feel like building a new system lol. Good thing I got my Playstation.