x64 driver (Vista x64 and Windows XP x64) - ALPHA - 3546

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eugene Gavrilov, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Eugene Gavrilov

Eugene Gavrilov kX Project Lead Programmer and Coordinator

hi guys!

so, x64 version is finally out! :)
    this is ALPHA, I haven't tested it thoroughly, but it seems to work :)

Changelog:
    Added support for 64-bit Windows (Vista x64 and Windows XP x64)
    Added digital signature for the driver and the installer (signed by CEntrance, Inc.)
    DSP plugins and Add-ons from previous versions are no longer compatible!
    Added experimental support for 44.1kHz mode for E-DSP devices (kxctrl-tweakable, use on your own risk)
    Fixed E-DSP KX_IN/KX_OUT assignments for ASIO
    kX is no longer installed into windows/system32 folder, but stays in 'Program Files'. do NOT copy any kx files to system32!
    Added to the driver installer KXM and micro effects by stylus [see the SDK for instructions]
    Fixed multichannel fxbus assignment issue
    Fixed issues with loudness compensator (based on Russ changes)
    SFMan32.dll is not installed for x64 platforms, because it is not 100%-compatible with 64-bit OS
    Removed card/model information from the INF file (and in Device Manager you will only see 'Generic' cards now)

Known issues:
    Launching KXS, KXP, KXL files from Explorer might not work in Vista due to UAC
    Speaker Test does not work in Vista
    SPDIF AC3 output may not work correctly in Win64
    CodeMax library is not supported under Win64
    SDK / For developer:
    iKX class updated to be cross-platform [supports OS X now]
    (note the changes in create(), open(), close(), destroy() - see kxctrl sample)
    edspctrl is cross-platform now
    kxctrl is cross-platform now
    Most of the SDK sources released under GPL (GNU Public License)
    SDK license agreement updated
    Since the mixer is no longer in system32 folder, kFile::get_full_skin_path function is used (see efx-tube example)
    Most DWORD pointers in SDK replaced by uintptr_t:
    e.g. publish_plugins, iKXPluginGUI::extended_gui, kMenu::track etc...
    Certain 'ints' replaced with 'size_t'
    MFC Timer uses UINT_PTR instead of UINT, if your code uses timer, update accordingly (see 'dynamica' example)
    kxparam_t is 'int' for x64 builds, thus, most DSP effects need to be updated
    iKXPlugin::get_plugin_presets() returns kxparam_t* instead of char * (all plugins need to be updated!)
    Most char pointers updated to 'const char *'

This version will NOT WORK/INSTALL on x86 OSes!
    Don't even try :)

----

Windows Vista x64 and XP x64 require a digital signature from the software publisher (unless you run Vista in "Test" mode). This signature is too expensive for freeware products such as kX.
    For the last several years I've been working for CEntrance, Inc, most recently developing aggregated audio drivers for 'MicPort Pro' and 'AxePort Pro' -- portable 24/96 USB interfaces. Thanks to CEntrance, kX Drivers for all the platforms are now signed with their certificate.
    So, don't be surprised if asked whether you trust CEntrance, Inc. when installing the kX driver ;)

----

Plugin developers are encouraged to review the new SDK and update their plugins accordingly. If you have any comments, suggestions, please feel free to drop me an e-mail.

The next x86 release will incorporate all the changes found in x64 version, thus, all the plugins will need to be updated.

----

x64 users: please test the driver, report any problems, bugs, issues whatever. This is a majour code update, that's why bugs are expected :)

x86 users: I will release x86 version soon. I encourage you to test it.

----

download link: http://download.kxproject.lugosoft.com/downloads/kxdrv3546-full-x64.exe

bug reports:
    http://www.driverheaven.net/bug-reports/182462-x64-3546-bugs-issues.html

best regards,

E. :)

2. thomasabarnes

thomasabarnes Long Time ***** Friend

Wow Eugene! You're on the ball. This will be good news for Vista 64Bit users. With this Vista x64 support, I may find a reason to reinstall my Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro.

What I'm thinking you mean is a WHQL signature, if so a big congrats on getting a digital Signature! If WHQL is not what you mean, well, kX Drivers have always been great without that, anyway.

Thanks for continued development of kX! With this new support, KX is not dead at all, and I can see use for kX in the years to come, because Vista x64 will be around for a while yet, I think.

Thanks for the kX update!!

EDIT:

I just have to see what these effects are by Stylus. I'm gonna instal my Audigy 2 ZS!

Hey Lex where are you. You know we're gonna want updated ProFX plug Ins!

Max M, what about an updated UFX pack? We still esteem you highly, even though you may have thought kX development has stopped. :)

EDIT 2:

This is gonna be an exciting, and intresting week-end. I'm certanly going to be watching this forum in the days to come for reactions to this good update news!

I see in my kX backup folder that stylus has has plug in for kX in the past. I just didn't remember. Sorry. I'm a bout to turn off my PC and put in the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  3. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Great work Eugene nice to see people helping others on here :)

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Great news for the 64bit guys..... way to go E.

I'm still on 32bit with no upgrade plans, but I'll be using KX forever..... just wanted to say thank you Eugene for all your work

5. thomasabarnes

Ok. tried installing this driver for a SB360 Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro. After reboot I have kX10k2 Audio (3546) -Generic under sound video and game controllers section of device manager, and WaveOut HQ as the default playback and recording device in Windows Sound control panel.

After a reboot from installing this new driver, there is a device named PCI Input device that windows cannot find a driver for.

I tried to update the PCI Input device device by the update driver method in Device Manager, and selecting Search my Computer for driver software and navigating to C:\Program Files\kX Audio Driver\3546 but windows says it can't find a driver for the device.

I have tried to let windows update that device by selecting "Search automatically for updated driver software," but windows can't find a driver for the device. I don't remember any such uninstalled device in Device Manager before placing in the A2ZS and installing this new driver.

With WaveOut HQ as the default playback device, and my front speakers connect to the front speaker connector on the A2ZS card, I tried playing MP3 files with WMP 11, but WMP gives an error message that says in effect: an audio device may not be installed for my computer.

I tried the other playback devices as default, and windows media player plays MP3s (without giving an error) with the other playback devices set as default (though I didn't try the SPDIF device), but I don't hear any sound from the speakers or with headphone connected to the external I/O Hub's headphone jack.

I remember that the kX Mixer used to be set to have wave out 3/4 (the rear speakers selected) as playback device by default. With 3546, I don't even see a kX icon in the in the taskbar, so i guess things are different for kX in Vista x64 with 3546.

Anyway, any ideas what I should do to get sound from the front speaker connector on the back of the card? I didn't try to connect speakers to the rear speaker connectoron the back of the card because I had a jack break in the rear speaker connector, and I'm about to shut down and remove that part of the jack that's stuck in the rear connector on the back of the card.

If any more Vista x64 users have any ideas for me to get sound, let me know?

6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

PCI device is the joystick port

7. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

@thomas

The unknown device would be the joystick port... You would have to get the driver for that from the Creative driver (if available (it seems MS is doing away with joystick ports in newer version of Windows (in favor of USB))). See the following thread: http://www.driverheaven.net/general-discussion/154231-gameport-vista-x86-32-ct4760.html

As for the rest, I would guess it is like 32 Bit Vista, and the default device should be Master Mixer.

8. thomasabarnes

Thanks fellows for the info.

OK, I figured out I had to use the rear speaker connectors on the back of the card. And I have sound using MasterMixer, but I get some loud poping when playing mp3s using WMP.

Gona open SONAR 8.3.1 and check things out in there, be back later.

9. thomasabarnes

Ok, after some more testing I see with WMP and VLC media player there is a constant popping noise that starts after a few seconds of play mp3 files.

In SONAR:

There is no ASIO driver found, and whenever I select any kX output drivers in SONAR WDM driver mode, SONAR pops up the audio driver error "The following driver/s either do not support the current audio format or are in use by another application. Please choose whether you want to disable them or use them anyway."

However, I have no other auido app open, and the project format is 44.1/16.

The two kX inputs I have using WDM driver mode in SONAR are
    kX Wave 0/1 and kX Wave HQ. When I connect my Mic to the Mic Input on the External I/O Hub, I can't get any of these input to show a signal in SONAR. I know my card (SB360) is only partially supported, but when using the drivers before 3545, I could use my Mic input though it had noise on it.

Just trying to think of some things to report that maybe assist in making a better driver. These are not complaints, I'm just reporting observations. I wonder if there will still be a kX DSP that allows us to use plug ins such as Max M' UFX and Lex's ProFX.

If there are suppse to be some effects by stylus with this 3546 release, how do we use them, as I see no kX DSP, and have no idea how to use any included effects

Maybe this is an Alpha release just to see how audio in general is working in x64 systems with compatible cards. Audio is working for basic audio related PC stuff.

I'll try some gaming in a bit and come back to report my experience.

EDIT:

I know kX wasn't started to be a a driver targeting gamers, I probably shouldn't even mention my gaming experience with 3546, so I'll just say that it works.

Eugene's 1st post in this thread mentions "Fixed E-DSP KX_IN/KX_OUT assignments for ASIO," so I'm thinking there should be an ASIO driver in 3546, yet SONAR doesn't detect one. I uninstalled the driver, rebooted, and reinstalled and rebooted, but still SONAR 8.3.1 detects no ASIO driver. Tracktor Pro, FM8 standalone, and the DR-008 standalone doesn't list a kX ASIO driver either.

I'm stumpped as to what the deal is, but enthusiastic about kX for x64.

I hope someone else with a 64 bit OS comes and make a post after installing 3546, so I'll know something from their report.

I'm just trying to be helpful, but I hope my lack of knowledge about kX isn't making things worst for users. It's probably better that I just keep an eye on this forum, and just shut up. It's not my intention to spread any ill will, though.

10. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

I can't believe!

WOW! :D

11. imperia

imperia Active Member

OMG Thank you very much Евгени. Will try the new driver tonight, and hopefully bye bye 32bit.

12. `jaw

`jaw New Member

This is an exiting day both a new bass AND much apriciated kx drivers. Thanks alot!

Althoug as Im using a beta os w7 my feedback might not be to much help. But it did install fine. To get the mixer working I just switched it to vista comp and runs great so far.

13. thomasabarnes

Found out I had to go to the kX installation directory to get kX Mixer started, now it loads into taskbar when windows starts.

Another thing is that selecting re-initialise DSP will cause kX Mixer to stop working (and windows will give a kX Mixer has stoped working error each time kX Mixer is launched) if Master Mixer is set as default playback device in windows Sound Properties control panel. Making Wave Out HQ the default playback device will enable kX Mixer to load again and cause the re-initialize DSP option to work correctly.

The only problem I'm seeing now is that there is no ASIO driver.

14. Max M.

Max M. h/h member-shmember

Îòâåò: x64 driver (Vista x64 and Windows XP x64) - ALPHA - 3546

I suppose you have 32-bit versions of these apps installed.
    kX provides only a 64-bit version of the ASIO driver which cannot be used with 32-bit hosts.

15. thomasabarnes

Hiya Max M:

Good to see you!

Yes those standalones are 32bit. I started up Rapture 1.1 microhost (an X64 version of Rapture) which allows Rapture to run standalone, and the ASIO driver is listed in Rapture standalone host. So thanks for the info Max. M. However, when I play any sound Rapure standalone crashes. Here's the error report that windows generates:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Rapture.exe
    Application Version: 0.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 45d6fd10
    Fault Module Name: Rapture.dll
    Fault Module Version: 1.1.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 45d701e8
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 00000000000f711c
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 3715
    Additional Information 2: c2929a1eb56a68c89b12146791d3ac9d
    Additional Information 3: 3601
    Additional Information 4: b6ef3660e5cd5a9bf91b0e8d87f279bc

I run SONAR 8.3.1 x64 version, and SONAR detects no ASIO driver in this x64 version of SONAR. Just how can we use the kX ASIO driver in x64 DAW software, such as SONAR x64 version?

EDIT:

Holy smoke! Scratch that! After running Rapture StandAlone and select the kX ASIO driver, SONAR x64 sees the kX ASIO driver, now.

Ok going to go tse the driver hehe. Man I'm glad, now!

16. thomasabarnes

I've been testing, and messing around with the formats and settings in the ASIO control panel. I'm able to get fairly solid ASIO performance at 2ms setting in SONAR.

Still haven't got my Mic input to work yet.

I've experienced the kX Mixer crash again, and setting the default playback device to Wave HQ doesn't fix it this time, so I was wrong about that being the solution to fix it.

I'm gonna uninstall and reinstall the driver to see if that will get me started again.

This is the error message generated for the kX Mixer crash I'm getting:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: kxmixer.exe
    Application Version: 5.10.0.3546
    Application Timestamp: 49f0f38b
    Fault Module Name: kxfxlib.kxl
    Fault Module Version: 5.10.0.3546
    Fault Module Timestamp: 49f0f37c
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0000000000026d25
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 9947
    Additional Information 2: de0a4abfcc80d7917cd9604af5f2ff82
    Additional Information 3: 29b9
    Additional Information 4: e1ce1f2f7f158ec437e8980be6d16fbb

Does this mean that the ProFX plug ins that are included with 3546 are incompatible, or should they work?

17. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Do you mean for recording, or you cannot get the MIC to work at all? Did you remember to attach the power cable to the sound card and PSU?

I imagine that any bundled plugins are compatible, but the bundled version of ProFX is old and buggy and probably should not be used.

18. Max M.

Max M. h/h member-shmember

Îòâåò: x64 driver (Vista x64 and Windows XP x64) - ALPHA - 3546

They should work of course... But there're >100 plugins and quite a lot of changes in kX Plugin programming interfaces - E. was just not able to test it all on his own. Hence the "Alpha" (i'd said "very alpha"). btw. you'd probably find it useful to report error dumps at http://www.driverheaven.net/bug-reports/182462-x64-3546-bugs-issues.html (after some time it will be hard to find them here)

19. thomasabarnes

@Russ

The Mic wont work at all. I did connect the power cable.

OK I'm gonna have to install Creatives drivers to make sure my hardware is working correctly. Thanks for the ProFX news.

@Max M.:

Ok Max, I will start to post any error messages to that forum. Thanks for your reply.

I will be back after some more testing.

BTW the crackling and poping heard when playing mp3 files seems to be fixed by raising the playback buffer setting in kX Setup buffers.

20. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Did you check the signal with a peak plugin from prolog?

i.e. (in case you forgot :D)
    Unmute Line2/Mic2 slider on Ins and Outs page, and set to 0 dB.
    Use peak plugin to check signal from pins 9/10 of prolog.

Do any of the other inputs of the external I/O hub work?