x64 driver (Vista x64 and Windows XP x64) - ALPHA - 3546

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eugene Gavrilov, Apr 24, 2009.

1. RPGWiZaRD

RPGWiZaRD New Member

It's no use to activate any DSP plugins though because none of them will do anything, for me it doesn't crash when I have the default DSP config used (same as 32bit version) but changing any of the settings for any plugin does absolutely no difference to the sound. Eugene already stated this driver will break the DSP plugins in the first post so you'll have to wait until they get updated to support this new 64bit version.

2. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

@RPGWIZARD,

Are you sure that none of the plugins work? I would think (apart from any possible bugs with new version of kX) that most of the bundled plugins would be compatible.

In a previous post you mentioned that you are using kX Wave 4/5 as the default device... make sure that you account for that when testing plugins (i.e. the signal will come from FxBus 4/5 (this is normally associated with the rear channels), which is not processed by many of the plugins in the default DSP config.).

BTW: I do not have any 64 Bit OS, so I am not able to try out this version of kX.

3. RPGWiZaRD

RPGWiZaRD New Member

Haha, yea you're right, I feel stupid now. :p Hopefully the important ones work good enough, at least the first I tried did. Time to do some rearranging. :p

EDIT: For the first time I've become very satisfied with the sound in Vista/Windows 7 when comparing to the XP config, previously sound quality was lacking a bit, especially bass output felt weak and rumbled but now the bass output is at XP-like soft and nice and doesn't distort. The bundled plugins seems to work just fine. Great work, keep it up, I'm sure lots of people are appriciating this!

I was trying out latest YouP Pax drivers for a while before this but even after a quick 5 min kX alpha driver tweaking, the driver already outperforms it with a night and day difference. :D This means the future plans of transition to Windows 7 64bit when I upgrade next time probably to Intel i5 or i7 setup with 6GB ram etc is now completely a reality as I don't have to worry about what sound card would be able to match my gaming needs as my Audigy + kX driver settings have done for XP. :)

PS, I'm still waiting for some info on how to donate and I demand being able to do so. ;)

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  4. thomasabarnes

thomasabarnes Long Time ***** Friend

How do I do this?
    When I click on kxctrl.exe and trey to type in it, it disappears when I type the first character.

A lack of kX knowledge person here, so can you explain how I do this?

5. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Just type it (the full command, without the quotes) in the RUN box (or from a CMD prompt or batch file (it is normal for the window to close right after the command completes when using kxctrl in batch mode)), or open kX Console in interactive mode (use "kxctrl --gui") and just type "mrc" (without the quotes).

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  6. RPGWiZaRD

RPGWiZaRD New Member

Been playing some games for a while now and finally I can say this, XP-like sound quality and perfect 3D positional sound with my headphones also available in 64bit Windows 7/Vista now. Wohooo :D

This is totally impossible to say for the Creative drivers and the modded drivers based on them. Only some games have 3D positional sound due to Alchemy and EAX or OpenAL support but with kX you don't need all this crap because the 3D positional sound is perfect as it is. How you get such nice 3D positional sound even despite you're using stereo sound (ie 2 speakers) due to the driver is beyond me though...

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  7. wmjordan

wmjordan kX Driver @ China

Oh!
    That's great!
    Thanks for the update!

Not yet try the new drive since I don't have a 64bit machine. It at least gives me a reason to switch to Windows7 x64.

8. Temragon

Temragon Member

This is great. Default dsp settings give better sound than the creative drivers I had to jump through hoops to get to work.

Have some problems though, posting them in the bugs thread.

9. Lucker

Lucker New Member

Optical SPDIF IN doesn't work

SB0092 10k2 with a sub optical card

10. McArcher

McArcher New Member

Eugene, Thank you very much for development of kX Drivers. You are helping many of us! Looking forward to seeing the final version of 3546 for Windows XP/Vista 64 bit (and maybe Windows 7 64 bit when it comes out)! Ñïàñèáî îãðîìíîå, äðóæèùå! Áåç òåáÿ íàì áû ïðèøëîñü òðàòèòü êó÷ó áàáîê íà íåàäåêâàòíî äîðîãóùèå çâóêîâûå êàðòû =)

When approximately we will be able to see the final (and stable =) ) 3546 version of kX ?

wmjordan, I think it's very early to talk about Windows 7, because it haven't even come out! By the way, Win XP 64bit is faster than Vista. I'm planning to use XP 64 bit when the stable final 64bit kX driver comes out.

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  11. -=blAck=-

-=blAck=- New Member

Îòâåò: x64 driver (Vista x64 and Windows XP x64) - ALPHA - 3546

Tried 3546 with Windows 7-7068-x64 and Audigy card (SB0090, recognized by driver as SB0092).
    Driver installs OK but if I trying to get some sound after some time i'll get continuous loud pulsing noice. Tone of noice depends of what channels I use for output in player. Or there is silence.
    KXMixer can be runned only in Vista compatibility mode.
    I played some time with DSP and found that root of problem with noice is somewhere in FXBus or before.
    Epilog seems to be working, and all other modules I use in DSP is working too. Tested with signal generator plugin.
    Tried to reinstall 3546 stuff running in Vista compatibility. All the same, maybe worse...
    System has 4Gb of RAM and a quad-core CPU (Xeon X3360) on P35 chipset. Maybe some of this cause incompatibility?
    Old 32bit drivers on WinXP works perfect.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  12. PwrMusic

PwrMusic New Member

Îòâåò: x64 driver (Vista x64 and Windows XP x64) - ALPHA - 3546

The same problem, but with Audigy 2 SB0280.
    OS: Windows 7 7100 (RC1) x64; Chipset: P45; CPU: Intel c2d E8500; RAM: 4Gb.

13. `jaw

`jaw New Member

Seems upgrading to windows 7 RC1 caused me to join the guys over me. Same problem. I also noticed that in the controlpanel for sound in W7 it detects the cards output to be 32bit (unchangeble). All other soundcards has a maximum of 16-24bit output. Not sure if that could cause problem. If windows is trying to outpu a 32bit stream and the kx drivers unable to handle it?

14. NoSmokingBandit@gmail.com

[email protected] New Member

Im trying to get it to work on win7 RC and im not having a whole lot of luck. I got it working once by setting kxMixer to Vista compatibilty mode, then i told WMP to play through the 4/5 outputs and it worked, so i tried switching the 4/5 to the default output in the sound mixer and now it doesnt work any more at all....
    Any ideas?

15. RPGWiZaRD

RPGWiZaRD New Member

Weird... I haven't had issues like that but I don't use WMP though, I use Winamp for music and VLC for videos. :p

Did some more comparision between XP driver 3545b and Windows 7 3546 in sound quality. I notice slight but I'm certain about it, difference in bass sound and treble/highs/vocals (at least using same settings in all plugins). The bass when configuring both 10-band EQ and Timbre dsp plugins is significantly more powerful and "soft" at the same settings in Windows 7 than XP. So I have to use slightly lower settings in Windows 7 and still get a fraction nicer bass output that still doesn't overhelm the other frequencies, in fact due to the slightly different sounding bass the vocals, and highs come out clearer and easier to hear.

The highs are also more easily defined and clear in Windows 7 at similiar settings as XP, I configure the 10-band EQ in the right-end frequencies to be slightly lower in Windows 7 compared to what I use in XP and it still sounds very very nice. Especially Rock songs sounds awesome at my current Windows 7 config, I just can't get enough listening to Snow Patrol's - Run or other good songs.

The surround sound might even be better defined and give more depth in Windows 7 driver but I'm unable to give any accurate conclusions at this point, needs further testing but I can say it's at least as good if not better. I love how my headphones are transformed into a perfect working surround system speaker setup with kX Audio drivers. :)

You've suprised me totally with this alpha driver. For me the sound is exactly like I want it to be and I'm not kidding or emphasizing anything, I haven't ever been as satisfied with the sound like I am now, no matter what x-fi, auzentech + speaker/headphone setups I've heard they don't satisfy me as much as my own current config does. Maybe they haven't configured or aren't able to configure their drivers as much or the kX drivers are just that good. I don't use kX Audio driver features very widely though I have to admit as I don't use it for music recording/creativity amongst other things. As long as it works for my gaming needs and provide nice quality when listening to music etc. I'm happy. I didn't think this day would come when getting such sound quality in Vista/Windows 7 64bit, the Creative 64bit drivers make my Audigy sound like some crap dull sounding integrated sound card crap compared to kX drivers.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  16. GeniusAction

GeniusAction New Member

Eugene, Thank you very much for development.

I'm using this kx driver version under Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit with a SB0350 (Audigy 2 ZS Notebook) with PCMCIA adapter on my M6300 Laptop notebook everything is fine and perfect.
    Thank you a lots.

P.S.
    Very Nice!!!

17. RPGWiZaRD

RPGWiZaRD New Member

Might have to switch to Win 7 64bit as my main OS already, liking the sound so much, could listen to hrs to the new further improved sound quality. Beyonce - Halo in very HQ, it's a night and day difference between the OS's now and sounds absolutely amazing in Win 7 with these drivers! Can't get the same crystal clear sound in XP despite how I try to change the dsp plugin settings.

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  18. SenseSeven

SenseSeven New Member

AW: x64 driver (Vista x64 and Windows XP x64) - ALPHA - 3546

It doesn't seem so. I was really happy to find kx3546 in a 64 bit version. After experimenting with several hacked Creative drivers, which resulted in distorted sound, I found kx, and it worked from the first second. :) I'm using Win7 RC1 x64 with 2GB RAM.

Yesterday I got 4GB additional RAM, put them in and started the computer. Hm... no sound. I removed them: sound was playing again. It's a pity that it's not working. Whose fault is it? I read about Vista's sound buffer, not supporting more than 2GB RAM... but can somebody explain it to me? What about other sound cards, new and shiny? Do ALL of them have a problem with more than 2GB? It can't be, or? Which sound card (or which chip) and driver supports 64bit and 6GB RAM? Or is the problem to be fixed (some day) with kx driver?

19. woodendaze

woodendaze New Member

I use Vista x64 with kx drivers and 4 gb of RAM. Other than sound completely stopping if I run the kxmixer, it works just fine if I don't run it.

20. themax

themax New Member

Sorry for me english.
    --------------------

Good job, as ussual.
    Tried in Win vista sp 2 x64 and sound all perfect, some plugins don`t work like "mono mix" but all basic work, in DSP i get a high noise whit the classic "FXbus" , reemplaced whit " FxbusX" and work perfect all outs.

The "Surrounder" don`t work correctly but reemplaced for some manuals plugins, playing whit epilog.

A good tip would be clear the DSP, make manual config and "save" the presset, when windows boot all the config has restaured, simply clear the DSP and load your config from the presset.

Last edited: May 20, 2009