Xbox 360 versus PlayStation 3 graphics comparison @ GameSpot

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by Vikingod, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Maybe you could give an example of this (other than Bungie x many years ago)?

Sony has just as much capital to through around as MS, so its not an issue of what they other can/can't afford, it has to do with strategy. As of yet, Sony's is pretty lame, to say the very least.

MS doesn't have to do anything at this point to stay ahead of Sony because their marketing strategy, installed base, game support, online features, price, breakeven point, and games on the horizon are leagues above where Sony is. If MS keeps it coming, and Sony continues to blunder up a $600 console with nothing unique to add to the market but the promise of a "super fast cell processor", it will have shot itself in the foot.

If fans should be mad at anyone, it should be Sony, for squandering a huge lead in product image and not having anything unique to offer those that spend their life savings on the PS3. Its certainly not microsofts fault that Sony dropped the ball, its to their credit that they picked it up and ran with it.

And before you call me a fanboi, it should be noted that I don't own either (just a gamecube). I just have the ability to call a spade a spade.

2. Sandok

Sandok New Member

You obviously hate M$ a little bit too much because Sony does buy out companies and such too, it's the name of the game. Everyone does it and they each use their influence/cash/console to grab as many developpers as possible and make as many exclusive games as possible.

Reliability, I agree its far from great but hey, my PS2 is dead so Sony ain't ten times better in my book (though my Genesis and N64 are still dandy). Charging for live, yes it's more than what Sony asks but the whole product is definately worth the 4.2$ a month.

As for killer games, the 360 has tons... In fact, already more than 3 times the amount of exclusive games out than the PS3 and as for the "must haves" already out, there are more than enough to warrant a purchase for many. Test Drive Unlimited, Gears or War, Forza 2, DiRT, Lost Planet, Pro Evolution Socer, Viva Pinata, etc etc. The thing is, while this is far from "killer", it's much much much better than what Sony offers atm :bleh:

I've owned consoles from all major builders and I love my Xbox very much, and honestly, think it's the best of the bunch (though N64 very very close). Everyone is allowed an opinion and obviously, given that more people own a 360 (cheapness helps) of course, more people will prefer it. If you don't, well too bad :p

3. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

The rest of your post makes sense, however I must address this. As I explained in the prior post, if you are in the USA you get a ton of content, even PS1 games to play under emulation. There are also 3x the demos. The Europe Sony store has had 2 updates in 3 weeks one of which was a video - it is shoddy and insulting to the european gamers that we are treated so badly ! I think live is really excellent and there is a constant update of content. at a guess I would say 20 times the content at least.

Two games ? come on man, lets not be silly. there are at least 10-15 killer games on the 360. what about guitar hero 2, Lost Planet, forza 2, PGR3, Vegas, GRAW 2, Call Of Duty 3, NBA 2k7, TDU, DIRT (jury is still out on that), Battlestations Midway, Burnout Revenge, Fight Night Round 3, Dead or Alive 4, Condemned, Saints Row, TIger Woods PGA Tour 07, F.E.A.R., Just Cause, NHL 2k7, Oblivion? Whether you personally like them or not hardly counts !, they are all 80-90+ rated games on most sites.

to be totally honest, your first post in here was accusing everyone of being a 360 fanboy when in fact I think while you were pointing the finger, four were pointing right back at you. ;)

That said, most of us do NOT want the Sony PS3 to be in as poor a state as it is, I, like quite a few people have bought a PS3 recently and apart from playing DVD or bluray it has been a very poor showing. Motorstorm i have enjoyed, as well as the remake of Fight Night Round 3 and a few others, but most are remakes of old 360 games.

It has so much potential, but until someone gets an exclusive killer title out, its wasted.

4. NAZ2222

NAZ2222 Active Member

I dont undersantd that much about consoles, the last one I had was a mega drive. But I still dont understand why Sony hasant tweaked the gama or color of the video connection, is it that difficult to do?? I think M$ did just that a while ago with the Xbox 360, but Sony cant??
    And In oblivion I dont think that the PS3 quality is superior, much by the contrary!!(at least on the images that gamespot posted) anyone else agrees??

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  5. interspaced

interspaced New Member

Gamespot used component for both the 360 and the ps3 as stated in the introduction. I guess they felt in order to show the graphical differences between two they decided to use component. Of course hdmi in my experiance produces a clearer image quality (not sure why they didn't use the elite) the test does has its flaws as zardon pointed out in an earlier post.

I wouldn't use ports as a way to define which console is superior graphically. GRAW 2 and rainbow six I have heard are almost identical graphically with GRAW 2 getting some extra maps (32 in total http://www.ubi.com/UK/Games/Info.aspx?pId=5587)

Also the offical playstation forums for the EU seem to suggest some PS1 content is out in next weeks update here's to the improvement of the EU store :)

6. HardwareHeaven

you are totally correct HDMI is a vastly superior output medium, and on the 52inch 1080p I have, the clarity is quite honestly second to none, it is a pure digital feed to a pure digital tv. the 360 output is quite good however for microsoft to release it with only analogue output at the time was a massive error.

I don't rate the gamespot article at all. the resolution isn't high enough and you can't ascertain differences accurately as you could very well be looking at jpeg interpolation errors. You never use a lossy picture format for image comparisons.

It is also an article simply to get them hits and to get people talking as the 2000+ comments are clearly seen within the article, but as a true indication of the PS3 v 360 graphical prowess its pretty much useless.

No one should count out the PS3 for graphics just yet, even though on paper it isn't as proficient as the 360's - sony have been known in the past to get incredible results from hardware, as anyone who has played God Of War 2 has seen on the PS2 (amazing game!).

I just want to kick Sony's ass right now to get titles released, the list is appalling, and with games like World Superbikes just released coming out on the PS2 (WTF!) it isnt looking good. That was a perfect time to get people talking with next gen racing graphics and the power of the new console, but clearly companies are having severe issues coding for the PS3.

So much potential for AI with the cell processor too........

7. thecrmeeegg

thecrmeeegg DriverHeaven PS3 fanboy

ok fair enough, but two things.
    1) I'm not in the USA, nor are a lot of PS3 owners, so that points not valid for me. The european live store is no better than the playstation store - both contain a load of tat
    2)A lot of those games are out on PS3 as well as 360, in fact most of them. How come on the 360 they're classed as being killer titles but on the ps3 not so? admittedly some are ported, but the 360 has a years head start.

As for the graphics issue, there isnt going to be much between the consoles, they're so similar. The comaprisons favour the 360 but thats through component not through HDMI. Through HDMI the PS3 image quality is vastly improved/superior, and as far as im concerned HD gaming should be through HDMI, else whats the point?

I know that perhaps my first post was a bit of a generalisation, but how about some support for the PS3 for petes sakes? its not going to get better if people give up on it and start worshipping at bill gates feet

8. NAZ2222

NAZ2222 Active Member

That may be the real reason behind the PS3 lack of games, coding for cell is incredible hard, on one article the CEO of Valve said they had to change completly the way they coded, because of cell, and that few people really knew how to code fast and properly for it! That cant be good when Sony wants abudancy of games on the field!

9. NAZ2222

NAZ2222 Active Member

But when both are in HDMI, the image is equal?? or does the XBOX360 still "wins"??
    really asking :rolleyes:

10. thecrmeeegg

No, what i meant is that the xbox 360 cannot output HDMI and so it cant get as crisp quality. You cant have a fair comparison between the 2 as the 360 is lacking the output.

11. interspaced

interspaced New Member

You might be interested in this http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/06/13/is-the-ps3-really-harder-to-develop-for/ ( I admit the source is from sony and there may (will) be bias but nonetheless makes for interesting read)

12. NAZ2222

NAZ2222 Active Member

I thought the XBOX 360 had HDMI?? (As I said I dont understand that much about consoles)

13. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Have you tried Xbox Live? I mean, the moment a demo is released, Europe and the US get it together unlike the PS3 which according to Zardon (can't say for certain since my experience with the PS3 is still limited) has much less content. The only thing Xbox Live Europe is lacking is the Movies / TV shows, apart from that, it's fast, efficient and really easy to use.

Secondly, not all those games are on PS3 and even if a couple are, they're ported and thus, aren't any better (usually worse because of the port) than the 360 version. As for the headstart, well obviously that's a factor but it'll always be there, so you can't ignore it.

The PS3 has HDMI and the 360 Elite does too, but even if the normal 360 doesn't, that doesn't mean that it can't do "HD" graphics. Component or VGA can output 1080i and VGA allows for 1080p so really, I don't see why one "needs" HDMI. It's simpler (one cable that transports sound and video) but it doesn't offer any benefits in image quality, especially for gaming.

And people will only support the PS3 if they deem it deserves it, which isn't the case right now. And again, you think Katugari is any better than Bill Gates? Please, this isn't a battle of idealogy or people's products, it's a console war and the major deciders are games and price, something the Wii and 360 have. I might change my tune when I see games come out for the PS3 but as of now, I'm not ready to spend 900 CHF for one or two games.

14. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

The 360 Elite has the hdmi output.This was released earlier this year.

All the other 360's use either vga or componant to connect to a hdi ready tv's.These cables still produce 1080i (but not all tv's support 1080P).

I don't think i'd like to see what the games look like using composite or scart.Using this type are usually required for normal 50HRZ tv's (uk).

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  15. NAZ2222

NAZ2222 Active Member

Exactly, I'm not saying, that coding for PS3 is difficult, the thing is that most of the games are plataform crossed, for example imagine Medal of Honor Airborne, it will be on Pc, XBOX360 and PS3. It´s more easy for them to build one game for PC and XBOX 360 and then port it to PS3! because if not they would have to build two games appart(I heard it's more expensive) and it is in porting that the difficultys appear, contrary from Pc and Xbox, since they both are M$ systems and it exists tools to easy the process! so each game that has the 3 plataforms will always work in favor of the Xbox, at least I think
    And part of what I said is baked by your link

16. HardwareHeaven

Are you for real man? the PS3 europe store sucks ! the USA one is decent, but what about the last update for the PS3 and the option to play PS1 games? Great idea isn't it? So when are we getting them, 6 months later? there hasnt been a new game demo on the europe store for a very long time, and the 360 has had 4 or 5 in the last 2-3 weeks as well as new games on arcade, videos, pop videos, addons for crackdown, guitar hero II. you name it. what have we on the PS3 store? more crap for ridge racer one of the worst racing games this side of 2000.

Yes they are good games but what about people like me who have played them for a year on the 360? I even bought a few like carbon and fight night 3 as there was nothing else out on the PS3. Is this good ? that the majority of good games we have on the PS3 have been out for a year on the 360? I think not. The only one better than the 360 version is fight night 3 too, most of them run worse as they have been ported from 360 without taking into account the PS3 superior processor etc. Its a cheap ass way to get money from gamers.

Actually they are not very similar at all, perhaps the end result looks similar but no, they arent. the Ps3 doesn't have a unified shader structure and it is limited to a 256 meg of ram while the xbox 360 can vary the memory between GFX and system when needed. the Ps3 GFX is also on a 128 bit bus and cant handle true HDR or HDR and AA together. The 360 GFX is technically superior out of the box, ATI made sure of that. the PS3 GFX is basically a 7800 with some changes. That said, in fairness the PS3 8 core processor is massively superior to the xbox 360 three core, however the issue programmers are having is using the bloody thing ! its so complex. This is part of the issue we are having.

Im confused, who here has argued that analogue VGA or component is superior to HDMI? even an idiot knows that is not the case. In fact even Microsoft knew this and released the ELITE to rebalance the output quality. If you had read earlier you would see many people are defending the PS3 output, myself included. The blu ray and DVD output is second to none. But this isn't gaming and is in fact a seperate issue.

Yes I agree, lets get some support for the PS3, lets get some good games out there. Blindly following any company regardless of cold hard facts and what the consumer has at hand, is only damaging us. No one else.

17. interspaced

interspaced New Member

Haze is the only game I can think of which will use the ps3 as the the main development console so it will be interesting to see how the ports of haze turn out.

18. interspaced

interspaced New Member

19. thecrmeeegg

Zardon can i ask, why have you got a PS3? To play movies? but you already have a Blu ray player so that isnt the case. If you hate the sodding thing so much then sell it, buy another one in a years time instead of sitting here picking all the flaws in it. Its obviously doing something right as its selling well (more than the 360 in the same timeframe), and people are enjoying it.
    Interspaced can i ask honestly which console you prefer as i know you own both?

20. HardwareHeaven

Now now, temper temper - if you have nothing to add, then going on a mini rant really does not resolve anything apart from wasting our hard drive space and your time. As Editorial director of Driver Heaven I get lots of hardware, I have every console out there as well as quite a lot of hardware, as I rarely pay for anything I feel im subjective enough to comment on everything. If you feel the current PS3 catalogue is good, as is the store, thats your call, but I couldn't argue more, as a consumer I demand more. It is my job to pick flaws in hardware, if it offends you personally then I suggest you get another hobby. It is quite commonplace for end users to feel loyalty to a company. Why? well its a basic mental thing, if you spend vast money on hardware you need to feel you made the right choice, didn't waste the money and are happy with the purchase. If this means ignoring some facts then many people will do it. This is quite common in all honesty. And I don't mean just people who bought PS3's, its a generalisation that carries over to all material objects, like cars, hi fi etc. We all want to feel we made the right decision and are smart with our money. If you think on it deeply from a totally subjective viewpoint you will see its true. Just look at your post, the one I have quoted. Your reply was a pure emotional response with no comments on fact or addressing anything I said.

As I have said, the PS3 makes a great bluray player but right now as a gaming console it is wasted, unless you want to play ports of 360 games or a few decent titles like motorstorm. If everyone was like you Sony would do as little as possible and rake in the money.