Xbox 360 versus PlayStation 3 graphics comparison @ GameSpot

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by Vikingod, Jun 14, 2007.

1. interspaced

interspaced New Member

I got the PS3 mainly because of blu ray it's so far doing fairly well in the format wars and there are lots of good movies availble that I have enjoyed. For example Pirates of the Caribbean. Even the second moive was infinately more enjoyable than the first despite being the inferior of the two titles. So even game lacking sitution such as now i can still use the PS3 to enjoy high def movies of which there are bucket loads.

Of course the xbox has more games availble and more choice. Live has more content and lots of demos to keep you busy for a few days if you ever get bored. Communication is very good which I hope the PS3 resolves with say an Xfire like interface. Component against hdmi there is a difference. People were calling for hdmi from the beginning and the launch of the elite gives ammunition to sony.

The Hd-dvd drive addon will have a problem in future when HDCP gets turned on you'll need an elite to continue to enjoy high def movies.

So overall hard to say really, i'm using the PS3 more so at the moment but for a hardcore gamer i would not yet reccomend it since the people buying it are probably movie lovers as well as gamers. I predict long term that the ps3, whilst it may not win the war, it has the potential to produce some cracking exclusive titles that will hopefully wipe out the negative press that has plauged it since they annouced the price.

Edit: Microsoft should at least try to get the movie download service to europe since they believe it's the future. Plus i like the idea of downloading CSI in HD at 720p

2. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Make sure you get Alien V Predator on bluray, beautiful quality. I liked the new video upgrade with the last update on PS3.

3. interspaced

interspaced New Member

Didn't hear many favourable reviews for it but i'll take a look sure :)

4. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Sad fact is the PS3 is about to be dethroned as the cheapest Blu-Ray player.

5. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

at least half the games on the list were released at the same time for both machines and the 360 versions still look better on those.

Its not really about porting a game its more about the rediculously long time Devs for PS3 games need to make a game compared to the 360 and how soon they should release it. If they release it too late and it looks the same what reason do people have to justify the purchase unless they only have a PS3. If they release at a competetive date then chances are it will look horrible compared to the 360 version and the only people who would buy it are the ones only with a PS3.

I bet it is also cheaper and faster to make a game for the 360 rather that PS3

6. Da_Jewish_Fonzy

Da_Jewish_Fonzy Me>You

I like Playstation alot better simply for its upcoming exclusives that wont be playable on any other platform. Thats the key selling point for. Everything on the 360 is multi-platform or is on or coming to PC. That and Halo is far too overrated.

PS3 games I'm looking forward to that are exclusive
    SOCOM 4
    Eight Days
    Killzone PS3
    The Agency
    Resistance: Fall of Man
    Getaway 3
    Warhawk
    Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune
    Heavenly Sword
    God of War III
    Next Fumito Ueda Game
    Genji: Days of the Blade
    Lair
    White Knight Story
    Folklore
    Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom
    Gran Turismo 5
    MotorStorm
    Formula One Championship
    Calling All Cars
    GripShift
    Wipeout 6
    Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
    Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier
    LittleBigPlanet
    My SingStar
    Eyedentify
    Pain
    Afrika
    flOw
    Blast Factor
    Go! Puzzle
    Snakeball
    Hot Shots Golf 5
    Championship Sprint
    Eye of Judgement: Conqueror of 9 Fields
    High Stakes on the Vegas Strip: Poker Edition
    Super Rub ‘a’ Dub
    Super Stardust HD

La Noir

As for upcoming 360 games, the only ones I'm looking forward to are going to be on PC, so for me theres no point in getting a 360.

7. HardwareHeaven

at least 10 of those games are already out and games like "flow" I have already beaten.

Can't say much on that list particularly excites me (you also might want to have killed the colour formatting with the red X in edit when you copied and pasted it from whatever site you did). Perhaps LAIR and a few others. Some of them like God Of War III are more than a year away........

GTA4 is the one im waiting on, but its out on 360 as well now !

Incidentally, unless you spend some money on a new GFX that X1800 is going to be seriously unpowered for forthcoming games this year and next. the GFX in the 360 is about 2x the speed.

8. Da_Jewish_Fonzy

Da_Jewish_Fonzy Me>You

yeah i replaced my x1800 in my rig, regardless im not here to argue about consoles, thats pathetic. If people here are pc gamers whats the point in having an xbox?

Tell me what you can play on a 360 that wont be on PC, aside from driving games.

edit: incidently all of the GTA's have been multi-plat and can you list the ten games that are already out?

9. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

I have a pc and a 360 for my gaming fix. I agree that there is only a few 360 only games...(what i know about that is) and im sure the is more.

If a few games like Gears of war (360 Only) and call of duty 3 (Console Only) which are the only Non pc games i have, was multi format i probably would not of bothered with the 360.

But i could not afford the ps3 so this is what i opted for.

10. HardwareHeaven

Because many of the PC versions are ports from 360 and suck? Its a forum we have debates here, thats the whole point of it. "Pathetic?" Don't you spend 99% of your time in the flame zone insulting people? So surely debating consoles is a huge step up for you.

Again many games are originating on the 360, and are ported to the PC and aren't even in the same league. This is not an attack on the PC, as im primarily a PC gamer, but again as I said to another guy, ignoring facts to suit your own personal tastes and desires is hardly productive.

Yes GTA is multiplatform but you are aware in the past that GTA always originated on the Playstation and was then (normally 6 months later) moved onto other platforms. GTA4 will be released at the same time on the 360 as the PS3. Sony in the past has benefited from GTA as a prime launch release to sell consoles.

Games on that list like genji, super rub a dub (urghh), blast factor, motorstorm, gripshift, resistance, formula one, flow, calling all cars, are already out, so whatever list you copied that from is obviously quite old (and is including online store games for some bizarre reason). Not sure why this is an issue, its like you don't believe me? I have quite a few of them already !

11. GutterPunk

GutterPunk I = Greatest Dood

Starting - PS3 > Xbox 360 (launch periods). A lot of 360 games were ported and looked OK. But after a year they graphics are still looking better with each release. I think the 360 has a lot of potential left too! The ps3 has some awesome graphics don't get me wrong but they are definitely not my cup of tea. They are too real they look fake if you know what I mean. They aren't as crisp as a 360 either. I think thats what causes their "reality" to look like crud. The 360 price is sexy too! But if all fails get a WII! haha

12. bananaman

bananaman banana muncher

oooh looks like it is all getting a bit heated in here :p

I have spent hard earned cash on both PS3 and 360. I think of the PS3 as a long term investment at present. I have been playing motorstorm and demos and only motorstorm really doesn anything for me! Dotn get me wrong I tihnk there will be some good games. However, at present Z is 100% right!, the euro store is awful and there are no games at present! Even Sony have admitted as much, i really dont tihnk that is a debating point. Longer term there will be some good exclusives from 1st party publishers and that is why I was willing to buy the PS3, full well knowing that at present it is a movie player (BLuRay and SD (upscaling is nice :) ).

As for games everyweek lately the 360 seems to have something new, and LIVE has newdemos (overlord, Dirt etc.), arcade games (Alien Hominid, Prince of Persia etc.) and generally these come out in the euro LIVE page (still want MSFT to push forward more global releases of some things... esp. free things)

I want to play the best games and I am now in a job where I can afford all the consoles and will only play the best games that are around and at the moment I am playing my 360 more than both my PC and PS3 and tbh PC gaming was where i got the gaming bug and I miss not playing on it... but that is another story

right... after that ramble I just want to say that if I had to only choose one console (always gonna have PC ;) ) then it wouls be 360 as when i weigh up the two consoles I just think that MSFT has better games on the horizon!

anyway, lets hope that the competition makes both consoles better, then everyone is a winner!

13. HardwareHeaven

The voice of sanity, bananaman. As usual, you can look past your wallet at the facts and be total even handed with your judgment. Wish we had a few more like you in here tbh.