XFX HD 9790 problem .... am I going the right way here

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Mr Cairo, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

so the day before yesterday after years of no issues my PC locked up during a game of Far Cry 4 and the monitors displayed a grey wavy picture

Reboot and it restarted ok and I was able to restart the game 5 minutes in it did same thing ... felt side of PC little warm took side off and GFX card was extremely hot to the touch ..

Last thing I had done was update drivers so on the off chance I rolled back to the previous set and had the same issue after about 10 minutes ... I can browse and watch films ok but gaming seems to be off the tablle

cooled off removed GFX card and the intake vent on thecard was blocked with dust ... ok so cleaned all that out set back up and all seemed well for the rest of the day played a little FC4

yesterday same issue with screen locking with grey wavy image and GFX hot to touch ... only option I had was to switch it out with an old ATI 6870 ... since doing that machine has run great and FC4 has played with not 1 issue for 6 hours straight ..

so im thinking its the card, I stripped the fan off the card and the thermal paste application was a mess not really done well at all some is crusty and dry some is still thick and gloopy (only word I can think of)

so my thought is a fresh coat of AC5 and see if it runs ok ... what you all think ?

2. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

Sounds about right. It's all to common that the thermal paste is badly applied on gfx cards and will eventually cause problems.

Make sure to clean the heatsink and the fan out properly as well now that you have it taken apart. Also, make sure that the fan is working as it should.

Don't forget to clean the gpu and the heatsink off properly so you get rid of all the old paste.

3. Mr Cairo

The fans were working fine and I have taken it apart and given it a good clean out (amazing amount of dust in all honesty) used some alcohol swabs to clean it off and its sparkling .... just waiting on new pack of Artic Silver and hopefully away we go

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Why am i not surprised considering XFX.

Trusteft likes this.
  5. Mr Cairo

they known for being bad ?

6. RealityRipple

RealityRipple Embrace Entropy

Yeah... the only thing good about them was their double-lifetime warranty, which they needed because they have heating issues all the damn time. Literally just last month, I had to send in my XFX 7870 because it wouldn't stop overheating and locking it's core down to 450 MHz, even with new thermal paste. Of course, right after that, my motherboard died on me (three weeks out of warranty), so I haven't been able to use the replacement R9 380 anyway.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  7. Judas

almost all the problems i see quite often involved the brand name xfx.... even though i've babied a fairly sizable number of the products... the vast majority of the failures i've had, have been xfx..

Mr Cairo likes this.
  8. Mr Cairo

OK that's good to know ... this is my first XFX card and with that info its going to be my last

9. Mr Cairo

well I tried and it worked for about 20 minutes then died put old card back in and all working good again ..... shame :(

10. Judas

you could try and bake it... but if you have any warranty... give it a whirl..

I still think my experience is skewed... but even on various other forums... if it's not strange driver issues... it's some bizarre hardware issues or just general failures.

11. Liqourice

I don't know if this specific to XFX. I've had an XFX card without any issues. I doubt they're the only ones "cheating" like this. I remember my old X850 showing symtoms like this and that was a Gigabyte if I don't remember incorrectly.

12. Mr Cairo

Ok so short of funds I took a chance .... I found a Sapphire 7970 on ebay for only £20 quid as the seller stated the fans did not work, I figured what the hell I would take it apart to see if could figure out what was up .. turns out I couldn't (probably a wire short)

then I figured that the fans on the XFX card were golden they worked great so I stripped both cards down and took the fans from the XFX to see if I could install them in the Sapphire card

the XFX cable was a little shorter so getting it all to fit without messing with the fans took a little trial and error ... new coat of thermal paste to card and rebuilt it ... plugged in crossed fingers turned on and it seems great ... have played FC4 for an hour with zero issues and temps seem great

The Sapphire logo no longer lights up as I removed the bulb with the old Fan assembly (no big loss though) and for some reason after finishing and restarting my onboard realtek LAN no longer works I have a red X next to it telling me its in Deep Sleep and the Driver refuses to reinstall .... not a huge worry I stuck a wifi stick in there for now and on the weekend I will grab a new network card the LAN on the mobo is old anyway ... so I know this would be easy for the majority here to do, for me it was a real win
    :)

Attached Files:

IvanV likes this.
  13. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

The reports of bad XFX cards actually shocks me. I've had several XFX cards, and have passed them on when I've upgraded my own. I have an XFX R9 390 in use right now...and have had it for a couple of years. I'm running 4 screens off of it. The ones I've passed on are still in use....or were until the recipient/s upgraded again on their own. And, none of them reported any issues while in use.

14. Judas

But you've also posted several times over the years of driver installs that were nothing but frustrating... which i too can confirm seem to be almost ALWAYS limited to the XFX series without any explanation as to why... and to add, the fact that even going through AMD's subreddit and on other forums i frequent... driver installation woes almost always seem to be limited to the XFX in most cases.

15. Liqourice

I have had good experience with XFX in the past. The last attempt I really don't know if it was the card or my system. Kinda feels strange that a card with a faulty DVI port would end up on a shelf but since it worked with a lower end motherboard with hdmi I kinda think it had.