XP athlon or P4?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by HardwareHeaven, May 8, 2002.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

yes talenzor and others I agree, I love AMD, but ive some share money coming back soon, I am thinking of getting a nice P4 chip with motherboard and messing with overclocking ..... ive heard so many good reports about overclocking with them. Mp3 ripping is good as well.

I have to say though I really love this XP 2100+ ive got at 1,900mhz... its sweet. but im a firm believer in competition and getting a bargain, I think the P4s are alot better value now with the northwood core.

2. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Re:

ROFLMAO!!!

3. Necrosis

Re:

I totally agree. If it wasn't for the competition, how much would the P4's cost right now? What it reminds me of is those blue liquid wave things people like to put on their desks. You know that ones that go back and fourth, tilts and it rolls to the other side? Who knows how much Intel processor's would be, and what speeds would be out right now. I commend those people that have both processor's. I'm one of the old K6 crowd so I've been supporting AMD for along time. I remember the days of the Intellers harping on the poor floating point of those processors. Today it's the samething happening all over again. I will admit I almost recently purchased a P4 and motherboard, and actually I'm still thinking about doing it. Yet I'm still recommending Athlon XP's to my friends, not everyone OC's. I guess for myself is it sort of personal. In 1999 I was having a running email conversation with an engineer from AMD, you would never have that with Intel. For as small as AMD is, and for what they have done they should be commended. I just can't wait till Q4 when Intel gets their ____ shoved into the dirt once again.

4. Furious

Furious I'm blind not deaf!!

Re:

In your case I doubt you'd see much improvement with a 2.4 ghz P4. Maybe a bit in Q3 (that's the p4's strong suit) but I doubt there'd be much of a difference in overall system performance and you may actually lose performance in some areas. Remember at the speed you're running your chip you basically have an XP 2300+.

Now, on the other hand, if I were building a new system today I'd probably go with a retail (I've heard they oc more reliably than the OEM versions) 1.8A.

I just wish they'd hurry up with the Tbreds.

My 2 cents.

5. Necrosis

Re:

I've even seen one at some online stores..the retails are almost cheaper than the OEM's. Hmm...3 Warranty compared to 15-30 Day..and a heatsink/fan...really hard choice there.

6. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

Just wait!

June 10th. It is coming, sir! ;)

----

Originally I wrote "It is coming, faithless swine!" but then I remembered that this wasn't the Flamezone. :D