Just Visiting
Sunday | March 7, 2021
Intel VS AMD: AMD ahead for the first time in 15 years

Intel VS AMD: AMD ahead for the first time in 15 years

AMD in front of Intel on Desktop CPUs

For the first time in 15 years, AMD has surpassed Intel in global desktop processor market share, according to PassMark. This information means that another milestone has been reached by AMD. The company has now closed the gap with what was once the undisputed leader in the consumer processor market.

AMD VS Intel desktop processor segment Intel VS AMD Desktop

The analysis delivered by PassMark Software for the first quarter of 2021 shows that AMD has a 50.8% share of the global desktop processor market, leaving Intel with 49.2%. The last time the reds took the lead was in the first quarter of 2006. However, although at that time AMD’s lead was 53.9%, it lasted only one quarter.

Another truth about servers and laptops

However, for those considering buying chrysanthemums for Intel, the analysis of the other figures is a little less glorious for AMD. AMD VS Intel server segment Intel vs AMD server

Intel thus still largely dominates the laptop segment with a market share of 83.8% while AMD is only at 16.3%. The difference is even more pronounced in server space: Intel has 98.6%, AMD only 1.4%. AMD VS Intel laptops segment Intel VS AMD laptops

If we add the 3 segments ( Desktop + Laptop + Server ), we find Intel still very clearly in front but with a gap as small as 15 years ago now (about 22.2% anyway).

AMD VS Intel aggregate segments Intel vs AMD global

The fact remains that if we are objective, we can all rejoice in this return of AMD to the forefront, a return that only happened with the arrival of its Ryzens. On the desktop segment, without AMD we would probably not have any major innovation (14nm++++++?). However, these market share data are interesting but the reality of the economy is different : Intel maintains a considerable lead in the two most lucrative segments: servers and, to a lesser extent, laptops. AMD is shaking up the blues but this does not really threaten Intel in these fundamentals. Nuances to be taken into account Keep in mind that the Passmark analysis comes from the data of its analysis tools. In this sense, data that does not reflect sales but the users of the company’s tools must be moderated. However, given the size of the database and its durability over time, these analyses can be considered as a true snapshot of the situation.

About Author

OCC_FrTeam

Edited by Calliers

It appears you have AdBlocking activated

Unfortunately AdBlockers interfere with the shopping cart process

To continue with the payment process can we ask you to

deactivate your AdBlocking plugin

or to whitelist this site. Then refresh the page

We thank you for your understanding


Hardwareheaven respect you right to employ plugins such as AdBlocker.
We would however ask you to consider whitelisting this site
We do not allow intrusive advertising and all our sponsors supply items
relevant to the content on the site.

Hardwareheaven Webmaster

visited